Saturday, September 29, 2007

Dual Personalities/Appreciated Conference today

Don't worry, I am not announcing that I have an alter personality! It is just that sometimes I feel so confused about who I am. When I was young, I read a book about a Chinese immigrant coming to America. As she crossed the ocean in her boat, she danced a strange dance. She would be dancing towards America and then contort her body as if China was dragging her back. She kept this up for quite a while. This brilliantly illustrated how torn she was. She was excited for all of the new opportunities that America had to offer, yet she would miss China dearly. I feel like this character a bit. No, I am not torn between countries, I wish it were that easy! It is sad, but I have let these stupid things cloud my life and make it so that I can't see through the haziness...for example: I want a clean house, yet I have children who I want to play with, which is more important? I am not able to do both things at once! These are the types of the not so important things that plague me.

So, today as I watched the Relief Society session of conference, I was so touched. My leaders spoke to me and told me how I should live so that I won't have to do the Chinese immigrant dance anymore!! They told us to pray, study, and serve. Yes, I heard this before, and I will have to hear it over and over again, BUT today and for the near future, I will have this lesson fresh in my mind.

I want to add how much I love the new presidency too! I already loved Sis. Beck, but I am so happy to have heard Sis. Allred and Sis. Thompson (I think that is her name, I am too tired to look it up now, if it is wrong I will edit). Sister Allred spoke beautifully. I couldn't have done that in my native tongue! Sis. Thompson was delightful. I am so happy that we have such a diverse presidency, as I think this represents the women of the church much more accurately.

OK, I am done....I sprained my ankle earlier today and need to rest it!!

No comments: