Thursday, April 17, 2008

Creme Brulee French Toast

I am so not a breakfast eater.  Quite regularly I have leftovers or a cheese quesadilla for breakfast - breakfast of champions, eh?  Anyways, this dish has convinced me that not all "sweet" breakfast meals are gross.  Furthermore, this is one breakfast that I would eat everyday for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  I got this recipe from "The Essential Mormon Cookbook".  In case you don't have a copy of this book, here is the recipe:

1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 loaf Texas Toast bread, cut thick slices
5 eggs
1 1/2 Cups half and half
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 recipe Syrup Butter*

In a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup over medium heat stirring occasionally.  Pour mixture into a greased casserole dish.  Spread to cover the entire dish.  Places slices of bread on top.  Mix together eggs, half and half, salt, and vanilla.  Pour on top of bread.  Cover and place in refrigerator over night.  Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.  Serve Syrup Butter on top.

*Syrup Butter:
1 1/2 cups butter
3 cups maple syrup
I didn't make the syrup butter and the French Toast was amazing, who knows how delicious it would have been with the syrup??  Oh and by the way, I didn't say this was good for you, it just plain tastes good!

This is so decadent I think I will add it to my traditional Christmas morning breakfast menu! This would also really impress overnight guests.  AND it is so easy too, way easier than pancakes or waffles or regular French Toast....can you tell I think this stuff is great??  

4 comments:

Marsha said...

It sounds so good! I can't wait to try it.

Janell said...

Yum! I'm going to have to try this too. You should post it on Recipe Mamas. :)

Gustafson Family said...

Yummy!! That sounds so good.. I will have to try it..

Becky said...

I agree with janell, our recipe blog is fading...please post!