Tuesday, December 4, 2007

You know it is Christmas time in Arizona when...

Oranges are absolutely delicious!

I started peeling an orange and that wonderful smell hit me. I love oranges here in the winter! That smell equals Christmas to me. It especially reminds me of the time I visited my parents, when I lived in Vegas, for weeks around this time of year. Every morning, after his run, my Dad would have an orange with his breakfast. While eating, he made me play gin with him. He usually won. That just goes to show you the power of oranges - you can win gin rummy! Love you Dad.

Other things that signify Christmas around here - (to me)

Mesa Temple Lights
Christmas Idea House - it was fabulous this year
Tamales and salsa - yummy
The railroad park's Christmas Lights
It is almost cold enough that your toes get cold in your flip flops
Beautiful winter grass (we decided not to do it this year, sad for me, good for the environment)

This last one doesn't apply to me anymore, and maybe I am sick, but I kinda miss it -
the craziness of finals and then the euphoria of knowing that you are off for a one month break

What are some of the things that mean Christmas to you?

7 comments:

Frolicking Night Owl said...

have to agree with oranges ... oranges just remind me of home/AZ in general. one of the hardest winter adjustments for me has been that i can't wear flip-flops all year here. people make fun of how long i wear flip flops here, but i've learned i can stand it as long as it's above about 50 degrees. but i had no winter shoes that i liked either! i finally found some the last week or two, but then i still probably won't wear socks. and if there's lots of snow, i just wear ugly athlete shoes that i don't care about. :)

Becky said...

I love the oranges this year...a little late, but well worth the wait. I missed the Christmas Idea House, bummer!! I love going!!

Melody B. said...

I too missed the Christmas Idea house...was there advertising for it? Dang!

I guess it's not JUST our family that does Mexican food at the holidays. For Christmas dinner we do tamale pies, green/red chili burros, beans, spanish rice, etc...

P.S. What railroda park does lights? The McCormick one?

Browns said...

I want to know what rail road park too! W e do tamales every year and every year around Thanksgiving I start to crave them horribly. Oh my gosh I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!

Browns said...

I tagged you! You ahve to write 6 things about yourself for all of us to read!

Janell said...

I love the luminaries--I haven't seen them a lot here, but in Yuma there are streets and streets of houses that do them. I also love sending and receiving Christmas cards, baking, and eating a whole meal of just appetizers for Christmas Eve.

Jennifer Smith said...

Yes - it is the McCormick Railroad park!