Sunday, December 16, 2007

"The Book Thief"

I have just finished reading a fabulous book, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. Knowing that it is set in Nazi Germany, I took my time before I opened this gem of a book. You see, I didn't want to get bogged down in the sadness this genre usually renders during this, the happiest time of the year. Happily, for me, I couldn't resist the beckoning of the book and dove right in.

Yes, it deals with death, war, and sadness. Yes, it made me scared, anxious, and sorrowful. However, after reading it, I was left feeling hopeful. Plus, I think that it had a happier ending than one would expect from a Holocaust book.

This book is rich in voice, characters, and feeling. It is full of beautiful words and images. To me, it was full of questions for myself - mainly being "what would I do if I were in this situation?"

So, if you like a good read, and cry, pick up a copy of "The Book Thief".

2 comments:

Paul and Rebecca Jones said...

I just read this too - and loved it! Such a good read.

Janell said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I had a lot of the same feelings of sadness but hopefulness at the same time.