Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Winter and Spring 2011


Christmas 2010 was spent with my family.  My Dad decided to take us on a hike after dinner and opening gifts.  We went and hiked Hawes Loop in Mesa.  It was quite a hike with kids, but it awakened something in me.  I started running in earnest again after that hike.  I decided to sign up for the Whiskey Row Half Marathon again and got my Dad to do it too.  So, every Saturday that winter and spring, bright and early, the two of us would run and hike in the Superstition Mountains.  We would start before sunrise and watch the desert wake up.  It was so great to spend that time with my Dad.  I remember one day he wanted us to hike to the very top of a particular mountain.  There is a water tower on the top (I think that is what it is).  It was steep and rocky and not my idea of a great time, especially since my Dad, who is 20 something years older than me, sped up that peak leaving me in his dust.  When I got to the top though, well, the view of the Valley was beautiful, and I felt triumphant.  My Dad wisely told me that I could look back at this climb and remind myself that I could do hard things.  I can see that tower (or whatever it is), if I squint, when I am in my neighborhood driving around with crazy kids with crazy schedules and with crazy thoughts running through my head and when I see that tower on the top of the peak, I breathe a little bit easier, because I believe I can do hard things and nothing seems harder than being a mom sometimes.  The Whiskey Row was in May and we had a lot of fun.  Here are some thoughts I recorded in my journal from that time:

“The half marathon was a great experience.  I had strep throat and ended up walking most of it, but it was beautiful, challenging, and rewarding.  My Dad ran it and beat me by more than a half hour!  I’m in awe of him.  It was so wonderful to spend with my parents, Todd, and the children.  We ate at great restaurants and had great conversations.  I have a great life and family.  So, even if I didn’t race my best, the marathon was a winner for me—and it has only increased my fondness for running.”


The rest of the spring went by much too fast!  Isn't that how it always is?  Todd and I continued our weekly lunches. I loved helping in Alyssa’s classroom.  I kept busy with those cute Cub Scouts.  Harrison and Todd got to take part in the Pinewood Derby and, much to my surprise, Todd really got into it.  Todd – I mean, Harrison – did pretty well that year.  As summer approached, Todd and I started getting ready for a big adventure.  One that required passports….



One of the things I loved most about Alyssa's kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Fierro, was that she turned everything into a party and simultaneously tricked the kids into learning.  Like the 100th day of school, or Dr. Suess's birthday, or Mother's Day etc.








Every Spring Break I take the kids to "A" mountain and we hike to the very top.  This year we invited Harrison's friend, Jayden, to join us.  It was a hot day!

 


Pinewood Derby 2011








Mother's Day 2011


Kindergarten Graduation 2011
Alyssa Smith, Mrs. Fierro, Liberty Allen


Alyssa and Mrs. Fierro


Harrison advancing to Bears, his last meeting with me as his leader



Harrison's Beta Fish.  My fellow Cub Scout leader and I took the kids on a field trip to PetSmart where the vet talked to the boys about a lot of cool stuff and showed them gross things like dog eye balls that had to be removed from a sick dog.  We decided to buy all the Wolves a beta fish so they could earn some sort of badge.  I haven't been in Cubs for a while and can't remember a darn thing! Anyway, they each had to take care of a pet for a week.  Since a lot of the boys didn't have a pet, we fixed that problem and got them one!  Ours lived for a few months!  Cub Scouts, fun times, who would've guessed?

Up next....our trip abroad!

No comments: