Saturday, October 11, 2008

Marathon Memoirs #2

Seven Miler Today....

I was nervous/excited to run today.  

Upon walking out the front door, I gave a silent prayer of gratitude for the cooler weather.  The crisp air breezing across my skin was the perfect way to start a longer run.  I've decided that running at the gym is a thing of the past.  I believe the treadmill was easier for me to run on and was giving me a false sense of running level.  I ran on a mixture of asphalt and dirt today, it is the ground that I will be running the marathon on, so it is great for training.  Also, there was some wind, and that is good to train in.  The treadmill has a sleek surface and there is no wind inside a gym!  Another upside to running outdoors is the scenery.  My brother-in-law often remarks how ugly Arizona is, he is from Utah, but I strongly disagree.  I love Arizona's great, big, blue sky, it is breathtaking.  I also love the desert with it's small mountains and unique foliage.  The desert is a pretty place to run in.  Another perk of Arizonan living is the close vicinity to ranches.  I ran past many farm animals today.  It was rather fun seeing the cows and horses staring at me.  Much more interesting than the TV at the gym!

While I was running, I spotted Todd and the kids at the park.  So I ran over to them and took a little break - this was about four miles in.  It was nice to spend some time with them.  I am so glad it is finally cool enough to take the kids to the park.

The last three miles were a little rough.  I felt dehydrated and a little tired.  Next time I need to take water and some energy gel packets.  I think that would help a lot.  I walked a little - maybe 1/2 mile during this time.  I felt like my walking break energized me an didn't take away from my speed.  I am considering run/walk training now.

Today we celebrated Alyssa's birthday!  She is 3.  I made Yellow rice, rolls, salad, and cupcakes.  My Mom, Dad, and brother came over.  Mom and Dad spoiled her and so did Gavin.  After dinner I manipulated my parents into decorating the family room and kitchen.  They really have a talent for home decorating.  Their home is beautiful.  Our place looks like a "home" now with pictures on the wall!

Feelings of gratitude crept into my mind today as I ran and prepared for Alyssa's dinner.  I am so grateful for my husband, kids, and other family members.  I am so grateful for a body that can run.  I am so grateful to live in this beautiful country.  I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who sent his Son to save us from death and from the heartache that accompany this life too.  

It was a good day.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

How great that you trust your family to help you decorate! I'll bet it looks great.

Frolicking Night Owl said...

what in the world is yellow rice??