Monday, May 10, 2010

Connissier

Some people are really enlightened about the finer things in life, like fine art, fine food, and fine wine. I really am not. I have my reading (see previous post), I have my running/exercise, and then, I have my television. Yes, that's right, the "boob tube". I know all things TV. I should be embarrassed about this fact, but really, I enjoy it far too much to care what others might think. Television is cheap, readily available, at times educational, entertaining, and it helps keep me in the pop culture loop. The television is good company when I can't sleep and everyone else in my house can. I can also iron, cook, and clean while simultaneously enjoying TV. I do have standards though. I don't just watch anything, I am particularly snobby about what my flat screen displays. And we all should be a little discerning with what we allow into our homes. Which is why I am sharing my expertise with you all today, whether you like it or not :)...Here are some shows that have the Jenny Smith stamp of approval:

1. Friday Night Lights






Maybe it is the high school teacher in me, or it may just be Tim Riggin's smile, but "Friday Night Lights" is my favorite show, and in my opinion the best show on TV. FNL is more than football, or I wouldn't have ever watched it in the first place. I read "Friday Night Lights" last year, and while the book is non-fiction and an interesting read, the show is not, but is not at all far-fetched. Set in a Texan small town where football is "the only thing (they) got", FNL portrays characters you can relate to, struggling to ultimately do the right thing. I love the dialogue, the camera angles, and the stories that pull on my heart strings. FNL is one of those shows that my entire family loves to watch.

FNL is currently on NBC on Fridays at 7/8pm. Set your DVR, you won't be sorry.

2. LOST







Despite the fact that I detest science fiction, I am completely in love with LOST. It all started when the hunky Matthew Fox opened his eye, back in 2004, and I was hooked. LOST is equal parts mystery, science fiction, character development, and good looking people. There are also many moments of humor, horror, and heart. Basically, it has something for everyone. I think we all know that LOST is coming to a close later this month (SOB), but if you haven't already watched it, rent the DVDs. I will come and watch it with you and will be sure to bring plenty of popcorn and Kleenex.

LOST is currently on ABC on Tuesdays at 8/9pm.

3. 24





I started watching 24 last summer and found that I couldn't get enough of Jack Bauer...or Tony Almeada. Now caught up to the current season, I can confidently say that 24 is good TV. If you like action and rooting for the good guy, you will like 24. My only complaint about the show is how Jack is always, ALWAYS, the tragic hero. Can't the poor guy get a break? 24 is also ending this month, but I heard there will be a movie coming soon. The world isn't ready to say goodbye to Bauer just yet, and neither am I.

24 is currently on FOX on Mondays at 8/9 pm.

4. America the story of US




This show is the history of America from the first settlers to present day. It is more interesting than any history book I have ever read, and is clever enough to entertain and educate both Todd and I and Harrison too. It is especially great if you have HD, the cinematography is very beautiful. So, if you are interested in learning more about our great country while also being entertained, tune in.

America the story of US in on The History Channel on Sunday evenings.



Well, all y'all, there you have it. My very favorite TV shows. I encourage you to check them out when you ever have a moment to sit down, relax, and watch some TV. Enjoy! From my couch to yours.

1 comment:

Paul and Rebecca Jones said...

I will have to try that history show! Sounds good. Maybe they have it on hulu